Friday, June 28, 2013

"Ease into the Kimchi"


                                                                                                     
                                                                                                        
Ahn yang hah se yoh! I have had such a great week. I have so much to say for this email... Where to begin? First off, as you know I had the opportunity to meet Elder Holland. So basically my life has been made, well, my time at the MTC has been made. He is my absolute favorite general authority because he speaks with such power and authority, and I love how strong his testimony is. We have watched several clips of him in my Korean language class. The other day we watched a clip of him bearing his testimony and there was not a single dry eye in the room. Anyways, back to meeting him. He was so kind and so genuine. I got to shake his hand, and he even let me and my companions take a picture with him. I will attach that in the email. I did not know if we could take pictures, but when the Blickenstaff family started taking pictures, I thought I would pounce at the opportunity. During the setting apart of President and Sister Blickenstaff, it was comforting to me to know that President and Sister Morisse probably received a similar blessign when they were set apart. Elder Holland gave us words of advice to ´´Ease into the kimchi´´ He then called us, (Sister DeBuse, Sister Blickenstaff, and I) the Three Nephites. Those three were so righteous that they did not want to taste of death and wanted to remain on the Earth to preach the gospel. They are the best missionaries in the world. I hope that I can live up to those words that Elder Holland spoke to us.

During my personal study time I have focused my reading in Mosiah. I recently read about Abinadi and King Noah. It especially stood out to me this time that when King Noah gave Abinadi the chance to deny what he had preached to them, so he would not be put to death, Abinadi did not back down. I love Abinadi´s faith. It is so important that we stand up for what we believe in no matter what and do not back down. We are in the last days, where now more than ever, we must stand for truth and righteousness, and we cannot back down. I am so grateful that as a missionary I can stand for what I believe.

Korean classes are slowly but surely getting better. I am understanding more and more each time. My teacher, Wade Hyung jay nim (Brother Wade) is the best teacher here. He always brings the spirit right from the beginning, and it is so easy to feel that he loves the gospel, and loves the Korean people and language. He served his mission in Busan. Since the sisters cannot hug, we give hand hugs. Can I just say that I would rather handshake? Hand shakes are much less awkward... We have to speak as much of the Korean language as possible when we are in the class and we are not supposed to speak very much English. I am able to say a simple prayer in purely Korean. The other day as I was saying my morning prayer, I did not even have to use the Korean grammar book that they gave us to know how to say the prayer. It was such a cool experience for me! Also, the other night I had a quick converastion in purely Korean, and I conjugated the verbs correctly, and used the right vocabulary. It is so incredible the things you can do when you have the spirit with you. The spirit truly is the great teacher, and can call things to your remembrance. I can also bear a super condensed version of my testimony in Korean. When I hear Brother Wade bear his testimony and the end of each class in Korean, I do not understand most of it, but the spirit is still there, because truth is truth no matter what language. We also start each class with an opening hymn. We sang my favorite hymn, I Need Thee Every Hour, and it reminded me of when the primary children sang I am a Child of God in Spanish. It is so great to know that music is a universal language that everyone can understand. I definitely got emotional. I just love being here and feeling of the incredible spirit that is here. I can feel it constantly.

There was a mission president conference last week, and my district got to meet President and Sister Morisse. They are great! President Morisse is a great story teller and his personality reminds me of you, Dad, and Sister Morisse is one of the sweetest women that I have met. We learned a little bit about Seoul, and some of what to expect. I am so glad you found the facebook page! I was going to tell you about that in this email, but you already know. :) The general broadcast Sunday was incredible! There were so many missionaries that there was not enough room in the camera space for us to sit, so my district and I sat in the general admission area. We may not have been on the camera, but we had a super great view of the twelve apostles and other general authorities. Tuesday we had a devotional from Janice Kapp Perry. We sang a medley of primary songs that she had written and I definetely cried really hard. The spirit was so strong! I especially love when we sing ´´And we are now the Lords missionaries.´´ I don´t know why I wear make up anymore because I cry every day. They are all good tears though. I was especially happy that it was a musical devotional because I feel the spirit strongest through music. I think back to the Mormon Youth Symphony days, and am reminded of the power of good and uplifting music. My companions and I are going to join the choir. Practice is Sunday!
Today I have the chance to go to the temple, and I am so excited! I would have gone last week, but by the time we got back it was time for dinner, so I am glad I can go today. P-Days are inspired. Every week is so busy and so full that by the time P-Day comes around I am definitely ready for a little break. We received three new elders and two sisters and they are all from Korea.  Gangnam is in my mission. Too bad I still can´t do that silly dance. I have worn my crocs every single day. They are so comfortable! I am known as the girl with the crocs in my district. I have seen four people that I know here. I saw Elder Diaz, Sister Van Alfen, Sister Pullan, and Sister Norr. I also saw Younhee! Last night she came into my classroom, and I was able to have a conversation with her in her native tongue. It was so incredible, and I was so happy that I got to see her. It was definitely the highlight of my day yesterday.

Thank you so very much for the brownies and for the ´´Gift of Tongues´´ package. It was so sweet, literally.Thank you so much for all the letters. It makes my night when I get them. Thank you so much for all the love and support. It means the world to me, and I could not do it without knowing that I had a family at home praying for me each day. I cannot express how grateful I am to you for that. Anna, I sent you a letter, and I hope you get it before you leave for Girls Camp, but if not, then it will be waiting for you when you get home. I hope you have a wonderful time there, and I hope you make the best out of being there on Sunday. Being in the mountains can be a sacred, spiritual experience, and I will be praying for you that you will have a great time!
Mom, Dad, and Anna, SAH RAHN HAM NEEE DAH!!!!!!!!!!!! You all mean the world to me. I hope you are all doing well and know that you are all in my prayers.
Until next week, Love you all forever!
Goodnough Chah mae.

No comments:

Post a Comment