Dearest Family,
Ahn yahng hah sae yo! (I can't figure out how to get a Korean keyboard, so I will just sound it out)
The past few days have been nothing short of incredible. I am in a trio with Sister DeBuse and Sister Blickenstaff. Wednesday, after my host missionary took me to my room and showed me where my class was, we immediately began language study. I walked in and our teacher, Brother Wade, solely spoke Korean to us, with the exception of a few words in English. I was confused and overwhelmed, but the spirit was strong. We have learned the alphabet and how to write, and now we are beginning to read Preach My Gospel in Korean. I do not understand most of it, except for a few words, but I will remain positive and study my best. I know that if I keep studying the language and practicing it as much as possible, that I can ask Heavenly Father to help me understand and speak the language. The spirit is always here. During personal study, and language study, I have had the spirit as my constant companion. It has made this week so much better. I cannot imagine being here without the spirit. I had an experience yesterday that reminded me that I need to stay positive and not let doubt and discouragement into my heart. During our second language study class, I was asked to read a couple lines from Preach My Gospel. The sister who went before me spoke it almost perfectly, and the elders before her had spoken it almost perfectly as well. Trying to remember which character is what is still hard for me. It took me nearly ten minutes to read three lines in Korean. I started to become discouraged, and I was really frustrated. I had been doing pretty well until I had to actually read something. I said a prayer to Heavenly Father, and the discouragement went away and was replaced with hope. I cannot stress how much we as missionaries need the spirit to help us. Tonight, we will actually give a lesson to an "investigator" who is really a teacher here in the MTC. Sisetr Blickenstaff, Sister DeBuse, and I have our lesson written out, and I have been practicing it all morning. It is crazy that we just jump right into the language and teaching in the language. Although I may not completely understand it, truth is truth, and the spirit is strong when my teacher testitifes of it.
Wednesday night during a devotional, we sang "And we are now, the Lord's missionaries" and I started to cry. I immediately thought of you, Mom. The time is now, and I know with all of my heart that this is where I need to be. Every minute of every day is planned out and we are always busy. Waking up at 6:30 AM is surprisingly easy, and by the time 10:30 comes around, we are all exhausted. Tonight, Sister Blickenstaff's parents will be set apart as mission presidents in a mission in Taiwan, and she received permission to go for the setting apart. Since we must always be with our companions, Sister DeBuse and I get to attend as well. Guess who will be setting them apart? ELDER HOLLAND!!!!!!!!! So basically, within the first three days of me being here, I get to meet and shake hands with my favorite apostle. Basically, my life is made. Even if I didn't get to go meet Elder Holland, I would still be having a wonderful time here.
I love all of you with all of my heart! Mom, Dad, and Anna, I miss you so much, but I am doing great! Soh rohng hahm nee dah, is I love you in Korean. My time is up, so until next time. Thank you for the love and support. It means the world to me, and I could not be doing this if it weren't for that love and support.
Love <3
Goodnough Jah meh (Sister Goodnough)
P.S. Please thank Sister Mecham, Grandpa Joe, and Melynn for the letters! I will do my best to write back as soon as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment